Vermillion Parks And Recreation
City of Vermillion Mosquito Control
The City of Vermillion Mosquito control is very concerned with the possibility of disease transmission through mosquitoes. We are making every prudent effort to provide for the health protection of the residents of Vermillion. There are several things that you can do to help protect yourself from the threat of West Nile Virus infection.
1. Make sure that there are no sources of standing water on your property. In as short as four days, a mosquito can mature from an egg to an adult. Look for and drain any sources of standing water on your property. Unused tires and old buckets that will hold a little water can be mosquito breeding grounds.
2. Wear long sleeved shirts and long pants during the parts of the day that mosquitoes are feeding. Dusk and dawn are when mosquitoes are most active. Use an approved mosquito repellent at these times. Current information indicates that repellents that contain the active ingredient DEET are the most effective. Please remember that clothing is not enough of a deterrent to stop mosquitoes from feeding, especially through thin materials that are commonly worn in the summertime. Repellant should also be applied to your clothing. The percentage of DEET contained in the repellent determines the length of time, not the level of effectiveness, the repellent provides. DEET can be irritating to the eyes and mouth, so it should not be applied to the hands of children. Do not apply repellents containing permethrin to your skin. Always follow the directions on the repellent package label.
3. Limit your exposure to disease carrying mosquitoes. Check that all screens on your house are in good repair, and of the proper mesh, to keep mosquitoes out. Plan your activities so that you are able to stay indoors as much as possible in the mornings and evenings, when mosquitoes are most active.
4. We will do everything in our power to help control the mosquitoes in the Vermillion city limits, but as stated before we need your help in limiting breeding sites for mosquitoes and notifying us if you think an area of standing water needs to be treated within the city limits.
5. When mosquitoes levels reach a certain level, the City of Vermillion staff will do a fogging of the city. If you wish to be added to the No Fog List, please call 606-677-7050. If you have any questions about fogging Click Here or call 605-677-7050.